What is design research?
Design research is market research which has a specific design focus.
The type of work we do, can be broadly placed into three categories:
- Researching a brand’s visual equities and brand values to inform a design brief
- Exploring a series of packaging concepts for a brand to decide which is the best concept to work on moving forwards
- Evaluating near-finished pack designs in order to see which one(s) meet the design brief, and recommend how to optimise
How do we do this?
Because we’re a qualitative agency, all our research is based on observing, interacting with, and talking to consumers. We do this to understand their behaviours, attitudes, and opinions towards brands and design. A brief overview of what we do, and how, is as follows:
We’ll talk to consumers
- Either individually or in a group setting (known as a focus group)
- In person and online
We’ll task consumers
- To draw a brand or pack from memory
- To create a collage to express how they feel about a brand or pack
We’ll observe consumers
- We’ll study consumer behaviour towards, and interaction with, a brand or pack
- This could be at a supermarket, or even in their own home!